Friday, December 14, 2012

A Little Bit of Hairy/Harry Potter for the Holidays with a Tute!

A friend asked me to make her some ornaments for her Harry Potter themed Christmas tree and I took a little while to think about what I wanted to make. She is talented in her own right in clay sculpting and drawing so I didn't want to do something like that, but I really wanted to make something I had never seen made before. Also a bonus, I crocheted it, a craft she doesn't do!

Now if you remember way back when Harry Potter first came out, the movie and/or the books, there's a scene in the first book where Ron and Harry are in Transfiguration class trying to transform their pets (I don't remember if Harry was trying to subject Hedwig to any of this, I don't really see Hedwig tolerating that nonsense) into goblets. Ron, of course, was only half successful, turning his rat Scabbers into a creepy moving imitation of Oppenheim's Cup and Saucer. Once I remembered I had to do it.

Photobucket

I tried to find some really fuzzy yarn so I could tease the hair. Unfortunately selection was limited, but I still think it gets the point across. And the pattern is of my own creation...or rather I modified two different patterns since I couldn't find one that looked like the furry goblet in the movie.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I also continue to have issues with trying to felt wool yarn. I just suck at it. I don't think I have the proper patience with it. Ah well, still turned out neat I think. The bigger one in the back was my first go at a goblet, but turned out a bit big for an ornament. The others are the perfect size though. And so furry!

Here's the pattern (a cobbling together of two or three different patterns - go me!)

For the goblet body:

Start a magic ring with 8 sc
Rnd 1: 2 sc in each st hiding starting yarn (16 sts)
Rnd 2 - ?: sc in each st around (16 sts); Repeat until you get just shy of the desired height of your goblet.
1st Finishing Rnd: (sc in first st, 2 sc in next st), repeat 8 times (24 sts)
2nd Finishing Rnd: (sc in first 2 sts, 2 sc in next st), until you get the desired flare of the mouth of the goblet; I didn't even complete the round because the flare gets too exaggerated, about half to two-thirds of the way around will do it.

Goblet Foot:

Rd 1: Ch 3 (counts as dc), dc 15 st in ring (16 dc), join to top st of beg ch 3.

Rat Tail:

Crochet a chain the desired length of your tail. Slip stitch back about halfway, transitioning to sc, hdc, and then dc as thickness dictates. (At this point if your yarn is feltable go at it, I had only limited success but you might do better!).

Assemble all and attach a ribbon or string for hanging!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...